Getting white cells and blood during ovulation period. Trying for conception. What does this mean?

Question
I am trying for a baby for 3 years and recently getting white cells and blood during and beyond ovulation period what does this mean?
Posted Sat, 30 Jun 2012 in Infertility Problem

Answered by Dr. Aparna Kohli 1 hour later
Hi XXXXXXX
I understand your concern. In order to help you better, I would request you to answer the following questions:
a. What is the average length of your cycle?
b. Are your cycles regular?
c. Do you have any bleeding between the cycles?
d. Have you noticed any foul smelling discharge, lower abdominal pain or fever?
e. Has a semen analysis been done for your partner? If yes, can you share the report?
f. Has an ultrasound of the pelvic region been done for you? If yes, can you share the reports?
g. Have you noticed any weight gain, abnormal hair growth or any other unusual symptoms?
h. Do you have any other conditions that you are currently getting treated for?
i. When you say white cells, does it mean whitish discharge? If yes, is it foul smelling or associated with any itching?
j. Have you ever conceived?

With answers to these questions, I would not only be able to address your current problem, I would also be able to provide you a roadmap for addressing the problem of infertility.
Awaiting your reply

Follow-up: Getting white cells and blood during ovulation period. Trying for conception. What does this mean? 38 minutes later
What is the average length of your cycle? A: The cycles are varied but average around 26 days
b. Are your cycles regular? Not really but through Acupuncture they are getting better
c. Do you have any bleeding between the cycles? Yes usually bleed around Ovulation but only spotting which I was told is normal.
d. Have you noticed any foul smelling discharge, lower abdominal pain or fever? I do notice lower abdominal Pain during ovulation time.
e. Has a semen analysis been done for your partner? If yes, can you share the report? We went through and failed IVF implantation last November and report was carried out then - at first semen were slow and had few tails but with some changes everything got better, done a recent home test and it was fine.
f. Has an ultrasound of the pelvic region been done for you? If yes, can you share the reports?A: Through IVF I was constantly monitored with scans but I have not had any since Nov 2011.
g. Have you noticed any weight gain, abnormal hair growth or any other unusual symptoms? A: I have gained weight, I also CRAVE sugar, and that is not normal for me, no abnormal hair growth though.
h. Do you have any other conditions that you are currently getting treated for? I am having acupuncture treatment to boost my energy and stop hormone migraines which are very bad some months. I have been told that I am anaemic too as I am vegetarian thsi did not alarm me.
i. When you say white cells, does it mean whitish discharge? If yes, is it foul smelling or associated with any itching? Not discharge no more like little flakes of skin or cell clear - white and some specks of blood, which is unusual as I am now away from ovulation period.
j. Have you ever conceived? I had an embryo implanted but within the two week wait, it bleed out again - so not sure that would be pregnant?

Answered by Dr. Aparna Kohli 27 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX
Thanks for writing back.
Since your cycles are irregular, we would need to confirm whether ovulation is actually taking place or not. If it is not, we would need to run some tests for hormones like serum FSH, serum LH, serum prolactin, serum estrogen and progesterone levels to assess the hormonal profile.
As far as your partner is concerned, I would suggest that you get a test done at a laboratory as I would be interested in not only the numbers, but the motility, morphology and other reported parameters as well.
The idea behind all these investigations would be to address the root cause.
The cause behind the whitish discharge with blood can be due to an increased secretion of mucus from the cervical and vaginal mucosa. I dont think you need to be concerned about this as if ovulation is taking place, some amount of discharge can be expected.
Additionally, if you have been gaining weight without modifying your diet and lifestyle, then we should also be looking at ruling out hypothyroidism ( a condition where your thyroid gland doesnt function very well and consequently the thyroxine hormone levels are low). If that is the case, we would need a thyroid stimulating hormone level for you also done ( serum TSH level)
Let me know if I can address any more concerns.

Follow-up: Getting white cells and blood during ovulation period. Trying for conception. What does this mean? 2 hours later
I believe ovulation is taking place as again I did a home test and it was positive, I am sure there are grey areas with home tests, so I am trying to get an appointment with my doctor to test this on a formal level. I will also note the hypothyroidism and enquire. My surgery did a full well woman/fertility check, after much pleading and everything came back fine. I did suffer with high FSH but then I took wheatgrass and that pretty much fixed it enough to get through to implantation of embryo without difficulty from FSH raises.

I will take your notes with me to my next appointment - the problem is my current doctors dont take me seriously enough to do the tests I am searching for.

Hi XXXXXXX
Thanks for writing back.
I would strongly suggest you see an infertility specialist in your area. If you think they dont take you seriously, you could consider speaking to one of the infertility specialists on healthcare magic. I am sure they'd be happy to help.
I would also request you to get your partner undergo a semen analysis again. I am sure we'd be able to fix this problem.
Hope this helps. Do let me know if I can be of any more help.