Getting watery eyes and runny nose after keratin treatment. Chances of nasal cancer?

Hi I had a keratin treatment on Monday after after the stylist blew dried and straight ironed my hair I has watery eyes and runny nose, I askervhervto wash out my hair in 3 hrs, I am still having some burning sensation in my nostril. Am I getting nasal cancer
Posted Mon, 14 Jan 2013 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 3 hours later
I understand your concern and will try to help you at my best.
Keratin is a protein occurring naturally in the hair, so the treatments work by adding additional keratin to smooth gaps in the hair.
 Unfortunately, the size of the keratin molecule is so large that it requires the hair’s cuticle to be opened in order for the keratin to penetrate and so for this penetration purposes urea and formaldehyde are used as part of the treatment.
In fact it is formaldehyde which is a cause for concern.

Formaldehyde is  a colorless, pungent-smelling gas which can cause watery eyes, burning sensations in the eyes and throat, nausea, and difficulty in breathing in some humans .High concentrations may trigger attacks in people with asthma. It has also been shown to cause cancer in animals and may cause cancer in humans but it doesn't mean that you get cancer by just one application.
There is absolutely no reason for worry and your symptoms would settle soon but make sure that in future ,use products which have no formaldehyde or very less quantity of it.

I hope to have answered your query however you may revert to me or any further query.
Best of luck
Follow-up: Getting watery eyes and runny nose after keratin treatment. Chances of nasal cancer? 19 hours later
Thanks Mr. XXXXXXX am feeling much relieved now.
Only question is as the stylist did a blow dry and straight iron in my hair with the chemical on, is there a chance that every time I shower my hair nos it will emit formaldehyde?

The worst part is that my stylist did not inform me about the bad effects of keratin treatment and I was foolish not to have done enough research before having the treatment done.
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 1 hour later
It doesnt happen like that.
Till last trace of formaldehyde is left on hair,it would keep on evaporating and it has nothing to do with drying your hair.
This evaporation gets complete in first 3 to 6 hours.
There is no point cursing the stylist because it is the client who should be aware of it and choose a product having least amount of formaldehyde or no formaldehyde.
Follow-up: Getting watery eyes and runny nose after keratin treatment. Chances of nasal cancer? 50 minutes later
Thanks so much Mr. XXXXXXX So whatever formaldehyde would have been supposed to go into my system had already gone in and now if I wash my hair there should not be any formaldehyde left to emit, right?

Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 2 hours later
Slowly and gradually all formaldehyde will leave.
There is nothing to worry at all.
Kindly don't develop any anxiety over this issue.
The way one cigarette doesn't lead to lung cancer,one peg of alcohol doesn't cause cirrhosis,one keratin treatment won't leave any damage in you.