Ask a Urologist   »  

Getting urine more times than normal and difficulty in controlling while asleep with little leakage. Suggest?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jul 2016
Jul 2016

Urologist
Question

Since last one month around due to rainy season and cold atmosphere at home,i am getting urine more times than normal.
But i am facing difficulty in controlling urine especially while asleep,and realize i bypass few drops by the time i wake up and reach the bathroom.

Please suggest a specific advise for it.
Posted Sun, 15 Sep 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems

Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 50 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You have frequency with urgency of urination.

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for your query. Based on the facts that you have posted, it appears that you have increased frequency of micturition and urgency of urination.

Increased frequency of micturition can be due to either UTI or cold atmosphere.

Please get your routine urine test done to rule out UTI.

Urgency of micturition is due to involuntary contractions of the bladder (Over Active Bladder Syndrome) that may be is associated with UTI.

Please take bladder antispasmodics like Solifenacin or Dariphenacin to control involuntary contractions of bladder and thereby control urgency.

If urine analysis reveals infection you may need to take broad spectrum antibiotics like Ciprofloxacin for a week.

Restrict your fluid intake during night and ensure to empty your bladder before going to sleep.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any more questions, please feel free to ask me I shall be happy to help you
Dr.Patil.

Follow-up: Getting urine more times than normal and difficulty in controlling while asleep with little leakage. Suggest? 2 days later
Hi Dr XXXXXXX

Thanks a lot for your advise, I will start taking Solifenacin medicine as advised and will let you know the feedback , mean while had a urine report done 2 months back and its details are below, this problem was there at that time as well but not so frequent as now.

URINE ROUTINE(CUE)

Specific Gravity: 1.005
Color: Pale-yellow
Reaction: acidic
Protein: Nil
Glucose: Nil
pH: 6.5
Blood: 1+
Ketone : -ve
Bile Pigments: -ve
Bile Salts(Hays Test) : -ve
Urobilinogen: normal
Nitrite: -ve
Leucocyte Esterases: -ve
RBC: 4-6
WBC: 1-3
Tc/Sqc: 1-2

Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Normal urine report.

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for follow up. Urine report of Urine analysis is not significant in present context.Please repeat routine urine test now.
Stare taking medicine which i have suggested in my reply earlier.
Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.

Hi Dr,

I got urine test done today and below are is the report.

Specific Gravity: QNS
Color: Pale-yellow
Appearance: Mild Turbid
Albumin: NIL
Sugar: NIL
Bile Salts/Bile pigments: -ve
Pus cells: 3-4 /HPF
RBC: 2-3
E P Cells: 4- 5/HPF
Others: NIL

I started taking solifenacin succinate tablets as advised from last 3 days ,so far no significant improvement found.
Please advise.

XXXXX XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 10 hours later
Brief Answer:
It will take atleast one week to get the results.

Detailed Answer:
Please continue taking antibiotics twice daily and Solufenacin once daily and wait for one week to see the results.
Thanks and regards.
Dr.Patil.