Getting tiny pus filled bumps on breast look like hair follicle. No redness or swelling. Suggest?

Mar 2013
I am getting tiny pus filled bumps on my breast.There are three of them. They look like they're a hair follicle.No redness or swelling or anything different on the breast either than the tiny pustules.I noticed the first one approx three weeks ago. The other two a couple days ago. The first one was larger and looked more like a pimple. I've squeezed it twice but it came back. The other two are tiny dots.
Posted Fri, 4 Oct 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 53 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
It would be very helpful if you could upload a picture , that would help me narrow down the diagnostic options.
Right now, going by what you have described, you seem to be having Folliculitis.
This is infection of a hair follicle, normally caused in areas such as the breast ( particularly creases ), buttocks, groin etc, where the areas are damp and sweaty.
It could have been triggered by plucking or pulling out a hair follicle, or due to abrasion by tight bras etc. Following factors might aggravate it -
> Wearing tight clothing and/or non-breathable fabrics
> Hot, humid weather;
> Smoking;
> Hormonal changes which are common after menopause
> Being overweight
> Being diabetic or immunocompromised
You should not sqeeze them on your own, as sometimes the infection might spread leading to an abscess.
If they are not painful, you do not need any painkillers.
However, you might require antibiotic therapy to clear off the pustules.
It is better to consult your gynecologist for starting off antibiotic therapy, once the diagnosis is confirmed.
If this is a first time event, do not worry, however , if this has happened before ( on the breast or other areas ) - you might be having HS ( hidradenitis suppurativa ) - a condition with chronic eruptions of boils and pustules in prone areas.
THis also requires systematic treatment by a doctor.
While you see your doctor - the following steps will help -
1. Wear loose cotton non allergenic bras - in private, it is better to air the affected part and keep it loose and open.
2. Wash the affected area with a bactericidal solution or soap ( for eg. Cetaphil )
3. Do not touch the boils / pustules / pimples with your hand at all . The more you handle them, the more are the chances of their increasing / spreading.
4. Get your blood sugars tested for diabetic or pre diabetic states.

I hope this answer helped you.
I would be happy to address any follow up questions that you might have.
All the best.
Stay healthy always.