Getting tingling sensations with pounding heart. Suffered from panic attack and anxiety. Should I go to doctor?

Jan 2013

Hi I keep walking up with my heart pounding for say 2 to 3 minutes . It happens every month about a week before my menstral cycle and is quite frightening. I get tingling sensations before it happens and feel quite on edge . I have suffered from panic attacks previously and always put these type of feelings down to anxiety. Should I get this checked out ? I have totally changed my life around and do not drink caffeine or alcohol and I exercise regularly .
Posted Tue, 5 Feb 2013 in Heart Rate and Rhythm Disorders
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 2 hours later
Welcome to XXXXXXX forum.

With the described symptomatology, theres appears to be possibilities of heart disease, premenstrual tension and panic attacks.
As it is occurring every month before menses, there is high chances of premenstrual tension.
Still possibility of heart disease and panic attacks can't be ruled out.
Heart disease may be a form of arrhythmias such as presence of extra beats, missed beats and disturbances in rhythm of heart.

You should consult with XXXXXXX medicine specialist and gynecologist simultaneously and should go for thorough check up.
You should go for electrocardiograph (ECG) and thyroid profile, serum electrolytes and lipid profile.
In case of ant doubt, you can also go for electro physiological studies of heart.

You should avoid coffee and alcohol as it may precipitate arrhythmias and panic attacks.
As such there is no need of any treatment for premenstrual tension but you may take selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors under guidance of XXXXXXX medicine specialist or psychiatrist.
This will help you in premenstrual tension as well as panic attacks.

Hope that helps.
Let me know if I can address any more concerns.
Take care,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava