Getting tingling sensation on tongue and armpit, feeling something struck in throat. What's wrong?

hello for 1 month i had like a tingling sensation on my tongue and armpit didnt feel no limp nodes swelling,but i noticed like something stuck on the left side of my throat but after a while i dont feel it again and sometime i feel like pain in my throat but it will disapear after a while
Posted Fri, 26 Oct 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 1 hour later

The sensation of lump in the throat is called globus hystericus. Globus hystericus is a subjective sensation where people feel a lump in the throat. The most common cause is gastro esophageal reflux disease – GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease). It’s diagnosis is by fibroptic laryngoscopy or upper GO endoscopy.

Gag reflux is usually due to acid reflux, biliary disease, cranial nerve compression esp glossopharyngeal and vagus nerve and myasthenia gravis. It should go away with the right treatment and the following lifestyle measures:

1)     Try raising the head of your bed about four inches with blocks.
2)     It also might help to avoid eating or drinking for two hours before you lie down.
3)     To help control the stomach acid, one should not drink alcohol or drinks with caffeine in them, or eat chocolate or spicy or greasy foods.
4)     Also take some antacid but if the symptoms are severe, then you may need drugs like proton pump inhibitors like omeprazole after consulting your doctor.

For the tingling sensation, it can be due to diabetes, hypothyroidism, peripheral vascular disease, vitamin B12 deficiency or malnutrition.

Get your blood sugar and thyroid hormones levels evaluated. You can take some vit B12 for some days and see if the symptoms improve. If the symptoms persist then get the above mentioned possibilities ruled out from a neurologist.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.