Getting tingling and needle sensation of pain in bottom lip. Noticed red spots. What's wrong?

I developed a tingling and needle sensation type of pain for a couple of days last week in the inside of my bottom lip. That pain has subsided but I do notice a very small red spot in the area where the pain was. I typically do monthly self oral exams and visit a dentist every six months along with an oral cancer screening. Is this something I should visit my dentist about now to have checked out or should I be seeing my primary care doctor? What are the signs of potential lip cancer when doing a self oral exam?
Posted Sun, 2 Dec 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 2 hours later
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

It sounds like an herpetic lesion.Oral herpes is caused by tingling or abnormal sensation followed by a rash or blisters.Typically persons would have blisters which may rupture but as in other cases it may be subtle and the typical rash is not seen.It will resolve on its own in 2 to 3 weeks.

Your GP would be able to identify and treat the lesions present.

Lip cancer is one of the many oral cancers that can occur. Oral cancers include cancers of the gums,lips,cheeks, roof or back of the mouth, salivary glands.
Oral cancers are more common in smokers (cessation of smoking reduces the risk), excess alcohol use and inappropiate sun exposure.
Some of the symptoms and signs would be:patches in the mouth that may be red/ white or a combination that do not resolve, sores that do not heal, bleeding, difficulty swallowing.
It is diagnosed by examination and biopsy.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions