Getting tingling and mushy sensation on one side of the face and neck. Any relief?

Emergency Medicine Specialist
I'm a 35 yr old male ,i have tingling and a sensation of fluids on the right side of my face and neck...feels kind of mushy to the blood pressure was 139/90 twice today and now is 123/93 , pulse is between 90 and 100...the weird sensation in my neck and face has been happening for a few days now..close to 5/6 days
Posted Thu, 21 Feb 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Sheeba Stephen 3 hours later
Hello and welcome to Healthcare Magic. Thanks for your query.

The likely causes for the tingling and mushy sensation on one side of the face and neck are:

1) Peripheral neuropathy - i.e. a condition where there is a problem with the tiny nerve endings in the skin. This can be due to a variety of medical causes, most commonly diabetes.

2) Vitamin deficiencies - esp. vit. B12 deficiency can present with such kind of symptoms.

3) Metabolic causes: salt or mineral imbalances. Calcium, potassium, magnesium imbalance can often be the underlying cause

4) Prodrome of a skin rash / infection. Sometimes, before the onset of certain rashes, like herpes, there can be sensations of tingling, fullness, etc.

5) Prodrome of Bell's palsy. This is a condition involving the inflammation of the facial nerve and the initial stages (before muscle weakness) can be sensory symptoms.

Since this has been persisting for nearly 6 days, I think it is advisable to have this checked out. You will need a detailed neurological examination, and a few blood tests to determine the underlying cause of your symptoms. Your diastolic BP also seems slightly high and this also needs to be looked into. So, please see a doctor for a detailed evaluation.

Wish you all the best.

Dr. Sheeba Stephen
Emergency Medicine Specialist