Getting tingling and cramping sensation in hand, tightness in chest and breathing problem. Cause?

Apr 2014

I am in my office right now. While having lunch, started getting tingling and cramping sensation in my left hand. Pricking in my chest left side and tightness in chest. Had a sensation of not able to breath, but with concious effort was able to take deep breaths. The tingling and tightness in chest and left arm and feet along with slight giddiness / lack of concentration is still there.

What could be the possible reasons for this and how do i ease this ?

Its been happening almost daily for me since past 2 weeks.

Posted Sun, 8 Sep 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Possible reasons are Cardiac disease orAcid reflux

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing to XXXXXXX

You need proper clinical examination and investigations for your symptoms.
Don't take it lightly and consult your physician immediately.

Causes for such pain may be Angina( Heart origin) or heart burn( Acid reflux pain) etc.

Other causes of such pain should also be searched. Other sources of pain may be lung origin, musculoskeletal origin, Gall bladder calculus etc.

Your age is not in favour of cardiac angina, but now a days it occurs in young age also with changing life style.So,it should be excluded first as it is life threatening.

Besides clinical evaluation, you need lab investigations like routine hemogram,random blood sugar(RBS),lipid profile, liver function test(LFT),cardiac markers( Troponin test,CK-MB,LDH) ,E.C.G in all leads,ECHO,TMT,Upper GI endoscopy, Ultrasound of abdomen.

If you are smoker, you should quit it immediately.
Get well soon.
Further queries are most welcome.

Take Care
Follow-up: Getting tingling and cramping sensation in hand, tightness in chest and breathing problem. Cause? 30 minutes later
Thank you for the reply. Last week i did visit a Neuorologist and a Cardiologist. They said to do an ECG, EEG and Stress test. Did it and should reports. Everything was normal.

Had done Echo-Cardiogram 3 years back and it should a Mild Mitrial Valve prolapse. My Cardiologist has called me this Saturday again to visit him.

I do not smoke.

Have done my blood work recently.

My LFT shows SGPT and SGOT is slightly above normal mainly due to my fatty liver. I think SGPT is 64 while normal range in report was 0-40

Lipid profile should LDL and HDL cholestrol well within Normal range. but triglycerides was slightly high - 168. Normal range in report was 0 - 140

The Pricking and tingling / tightness in my chest left side is still there. Its not continuous, but comes and goes.

Hope this information was useful about my entire case. What would you suggest maybe the cause for this and what steps should i do next; now that I have given details about my blood work and other tests above.

Thank you XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 18 hours later
Brief Answer:
Pain may be due to Mitral valve prolapse

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for query
Sorry for replying late

Now, you have given complete details.
Pain may be due to progression of mitral valve prolapse.
You need recent ECHO findings.
You have to consult your cardiologist.
Only ECHO can tell your present status of mitral valve prolapse.
Mild mitral valve prolapse can be asymptomatic through out the life, but it may progress in some cases and present with chest pain ,shortness of breath etc.

As you have mild fatty liver and SGPT is also mildly raised, you should modify your diet and lifestyle.Mild fatty liver is reversible stage and proper exercise and limitation of fat intake can be helpful.

Hope your query is answered.
Get well soon.

Take Care