Getting throbbing sensation while leaning down and having headache. Suggest some medicine

Hi, I'm a 57 year old female, though you'd never know it because I play on recreation sports teams, ski, and ride my bike 5 miles to work. My weight and blood pressure are appropriate. On occasion if I'd lean down to tie my shoe, my head would throb until I was upright again. Too, with the coolness of the weather, I could wake up with a headache which would go away once I got going. Lately however, with each step on the volleyball court or each crack in the road I'd go over with my bike, my head would throb for a second or two. It wasn't as bad today riding to work as it was Friday. Before it was just when the weather was cool, but now it seems to happen daily if I'm doing anything more than walking. I've always been in great shape, with no health problems so I don't even have a G.P. or take any pills other than vitamins. Suggestions? Thanks!
Posted Mon, 8 Oct 2012 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Piyush Ostwal 1 hour later

Your fitness at this age is really impressive.

The symptom of throbbing headache on bending forward, on cold exposure and with jerks seems to be related to sinus problems. The lining sinuses swell up during sinusitis and block the free flow of air within it, build up pressure and causes headache.

I would advise you to consult an ENT specialist and he can evaluate for sinuses. If nothing comes up on that then you may have to be evaluated for any problems inside the skull which would need neurology consultation and may be scan.

For now you can avoid cold exposure and try to keep yourself warmer.

If you have any more queries I will be happy to answer.

Good luck!!
Follow-up: Getting throbbing sensation while leaning down and having headache. Suggest some medicine 22 hours later
I haven't had sinus problems before. Last night while playing volleyball my head would throb with each running step, and likewise today if I attempted to run, it would throb until I stopped. Typically I only got that reaction when it was cold, but now the temperature has still been in the 70-80's and I'm getting's now been 5 days straight of head throbs with activity.

With that information, would you recommend a scan? If so, do I have to see a G.P. first or can I just make an appointment with a specialist?

Thanks again,

Answered by Dr. Piyush Ostwal 3 hours later

I would not recommend scan directly. The ideal approach would be to visit a GP and then he can refer you to ENT/ neurologist depending on the need. A scan may be done whenever required.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have other concerns.

Good luck!!!