Getting throbbing sensation on wrist. What could be causing this?

I am having a "out of nowhere" sort of throbbing in my left wrist. I am right hand dominant. I do a lot of typing, but I rarely have pain in my wrists, much less my left one. I did fall on my wrist about two years ago, but nothing was broken and I did not seek medical attention. Just wondering if this is a sign of something else? I am not experiencing any shortness of breath.
Posted Thu, 16 May 2013 in Arthritis
Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 2 hours later

Thanks for sharing your health concerns.

It could be a soft tissue injury, including a ligament sprain, but there are other lesions that could present in a subacute way (days after the trauma) like a scaphoid bone fracture (one of the little bones of the wrist). Physical examination can help with the diagnosis but if there is clinical suspicion by the mechanism and examination, x-rays might be indicated to look specifically for a small fracture.

Hope this information is useful, wish you the best health,

Dr Brenes-Salazar MD
Mayo Clinic MN