Getting the feeling of shrinking into the fetal position. Could it be fibromyalgia?

As a Rheumatologist, would you suspect Fibromyalgia? I did have statin myopathay in 2009 from taking lipitor. I stopped taking it and the claw hand and feeling of shrinking into the fetal position did subside. I have never full recovered. What other blood test's or clinical findings would need to be present for a possible finalize a diagnosis?
Posted Sat, 2 Feb 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Praveen Jadhav 2 days later
Wow, you have done an exhaustive gamut of tests.

I would strongly suspect fibromyalgia in this case. Unfortunately there is no test to prove or disprove it. It is mainly a clinical diagnosis with the presence of multiple tender points throughout the body. The response to lyrica may not always be complete and partial response is usually anticipated.

Presence of symptoms suggestive of anxiety, sleep disturbances, fatigue and psychological disturbances will be helpful in diagnosis.

In addition to the tests done, I would also like to check Vitamin D, vitamin B12 and thyroxine levels.

Follow-up: Getting the feeling of shrinking into the fetal position. Could it be fibromyalgia? 8 hours later
Yes there is a presence of symptoms of anxiety, sleep disturbances, fatigue and psychological disturbances, PTSD due to sexual assualt.

Test I Result Name
Thyroxine Free
Thyroxine Free
08 Apr 2008 0928
0.48 (L)
Ref Rng
Vitamin D 5000 IU of vitamin D.
VITAMIN B12 . 485 (160-970)

Any other blood tests that you would be interested in? And finally, is it realistic to think that the statin myopathy or denervation atrophy are forever?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Jadhav 15 hours later
No, Statin myopathy is temporary.

I am not convinced about the significance of denervation atrophy in your case and anyway since there is no degeneration, I dont think you should attach much significance to it.

With presence of psychological symptoms, diagnosis of fibromyalgia appears certain.

Miniscule lowering of thyroxine levels are not significant and could be rechecked in a couple of months.

Vitamin b12 levels are normal and you are already supplementing vitamin D. So these, again, are not the cause of your problems.

No other tests are required.