Getting tensed, headache and shaky body. Taking mild valium. Is this due to drinking alcohol?

hi my partner gets very tense and has trouble relaxing, he suffers from bad headaches, at the moment his hands are very white and he is shaking. last friday the muscles in his hands contracted and he really had to fight to keep them open. A doctor came past and gave him a mild valium which really helped him stettle for a day or 2. we then went to a local doctor who just said the cause of it is from drinking, I erally dont think this is the cause. could it be anything else.
Posted Sat, 18 Aug 2012 in Smoking and Alcohol Addiction
Answered by Dr. Divya Kuttikrishnan 2 hours later

Thanks for writing in.

It is quite possible that your partner has a lot of stress and tension, as evidenced by the fact that he gets tense, has trouble relaxing, has bad headaches etc.

I would suggest that both of you sign up for yoga/ meditation/ relaxation classes.Yoga might help by de-stressing him . You could also go with him since he might feel motivated to go for the classes if you are also there.

Exercise is very important. Regular exercise (aerobics/work out in a gym etc) 30-45 minutes per day 5 days a week . Exercise releases endorphins which might make him feel good and reduce the stress.

Have a well balanced meal with fruits, vegetables, whole grain cereals etc. Avoid carbonated drinks and fast food/junk food.

Avoid smoking and alcohol.
XXXXXXX up with a psychologist, if necessary, who might help by counselling him. In Addition, get his serum electrolytes esp. serum calcium checked as the muscles that had contracted could also be due to low calcium levels.

I hope I have answered your queries .I will be happy to answer any further queries you might have.

In case you don't have any further queries, please accept my answer. Any reviews are welcome.

Have a great day.

Dr.Divya Kuttikrishnan