Getting stretch like marks on body. What can be done?

Dermatologist
Question
My son is getting stretch like marks on his body. What to do
Posted Tue, 3 Dec 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 26 hours later
Brief Answer: Details below Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for the query and photograph These stretch marks can be treated medically as well as with lasers. He can apply oint tretinoin 0.05% daily in night. If there is no response with this go for Thermotherapy. It is a type of LASER and gives good response. Let me know if you have any other doubts. Thank you

Follow-up: Getting stretch like marks on body. What can be done? 2 hours later
I would like to know the reason why these marks are occuring. My son 13 years is getting these on his shoulders, stomach and back.

Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Details below Detailed Answer: Hello, These stretch marks occur due to undue stretch of collagen or formation of defective collagen. The most common cause is exercise ( weight lifting). Others are genetically determined, Which include disorders of collagen metabolism and collagen vascular disorders. A biopsy might be required to confirm the diagnosis. Let me know if you have any other doubts. Thank you