Getting stomach ache, headache, feeling nausea and started diarrhoea. How to get relief?

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
Question
I went to bed at 11:30pm last night and woke up at midnight with terrible stomach pain and nausea. When I went to the bathroom I first passed a normal stool, but it quickly turned to diarrhea. After that I was up about once an hour to use the bathroom. Gradually the amount of diarrhea decreased, and I am now just expelling small amounts of watery, red discharge. I am still nauseous and have pain in my lower abdomen that almost feels like menstrual cramping. Additionally I've had a headache for 24 hours (12 hours before the stomach problem), if that's in any way connected.
Posted Sun, 4 Nov 2012 in Abdominal Pain

Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 2 hours later
Hi

Thanks for writing in

The information you have provided is suggestive of infective gastroentritis

I would suggest you take plenty of clear fluids orally

Take a probiotic for seven to ten days

A gastrointestinal antibiotic like norfloxacillin twice a day for seven to ten days

A proton pump inhibitor and prokinetic tablet twice a day for seven to ten days

The acute phase may last for twenty four to forty eight hours, if even after that it continues you need to take parentral fluids and injectable antibiotics

Hope this helps
Am available for followup queries
Get well soon

Follow-up: Getting stomach ache, headache, feeling nausea and started diarrhoea. How to get relief? 20 minutes later
Thank you, that is less serious/scary than I was imagining. Do I need to go to the doctor (I don't own a car so it's difficult), or can I treat myself using your suggestions?

Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 10 hours later
Hi

Thanks for writing in again

Yes you may treat yourself accordingly for two days XXXXXXX and if you do not get releif see a doctor

Actually online forums are meant for supplementing the opinion of your doctor and not providing treatment without examining the patient

Hope this clears your doubts
Do write back in case of concern
Get well soon