Getting stabbing pain close to belly button and lower back. Symptoms of hernia?

I am pretty sure I have a hernia. I had an ultrasound the other day and I am still awaiting the results. The problem is the symptoms have changed and rather then feeling most of my discomfort on my left groin area I am not starting to get (small) stabbing pains close to my belly button and lower right back (the initial pain is on my left groin). Is this normal? At what point do I stop waiting for my ultrasound results and go to the hospital? The pains on a scale of 1-10 would probably be a 3. Are these common signs and symptoms?
Posted Fri, 19 Apr 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Abhijit Deshmukh 2 hours later

These symptoms do not point to a hernia as hernia pain will not shift from left to right.

Hernia usually causes a visible swelling which increases on coughing with a cough impulse felt at the sight.

It will not cause belly button and lower right back pain at the same time.

It could be dyspepsia pain. I feel with pain score 3 and no other symptoms, you can wait till report is ready. If it was anything urgent, the sonologist would have told you at that time only.

These pain symptoms are quiet common to see for us in our OPD patients in patients with dyspepsia, irritable bowel syndrome.

Hope this answers your query.

Wish you a speedy recovery.