Getting sore throat and swollen glands. Noticed flesh colored pimple and is bleeding. Advise?

ENT Specialist
My daughter is otherwise a healthy person, she is suseptible to getting sore throats/swollen glands in this region. About 5-6 weeks ago she was complaining of a sore throat/swollen glands.. went to see her gp who gave her antibiotics.. i dont think she completed the whole course.. a few days back she noticed a flesh coloured pimple which is hard and is situated on the tonsil arch.. she tells me its been bleeding but no symptom of pain. She went to her university Gp who have referred her to the ENT specialist.,. shes really scared that its cancer.. please advise
Posted Mon, 18 Nov 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Ravinder Sharma 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
ENT consultation and may be a biopsy

Detailed Answer:
On the basis of the information provided it appears that it may be a vascular benign lesion like hemangioma or a papilloma or a malignancy. Malignancy of tonsil is more common if there is history of smoking and alcohol use for long duration.
I assume there is no significant past history of throat problem. It will require a ENT consultation and may be a biopsy from the lesion for histopathology of the lesion. I will request you for an urgent attention as if such lesions are detected and treated early there are better chances of improvement. A photographic view of the lesion can help me (to some extent) to understand the lesion
I hope this answers your concern. Feel free to contact me if you have any more question.
with regards
Ravinder Sharma