Getting shock sensation in head. MRI showed subtle vascular compression. Suggest some medicines

Nov 2013

Hi, I am getting a shock like sensation across my right part of my head when I touch my right eye brow or some part of my forehead on the right side and sometimes when I wipe my head with a towel after taking head bath. I got an MRI done and they reported 'subtle vascular compression'.
This seems to be increasing gradually. Now I even fear touching my face when I wash. I read about Vascular compression and the Trigeminal Neuralgia. This is a condition.
My questions...
1. Why did this occur now after 39 years?
2. Are there any other medical conditions such as High BP or Cholesterol or Diabetes etc that could trigger this compression?
3. What are the natural remedies that are available to control or manage or even cure this condition?
4. What medication is best to suppress the pain in emergency?
Posted Mon, 22 Oct 2012 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 2 hours later
Thank you for contacting Healthcare magic.
I have gone through your medical details, blood reports and MRI brain reports. As you have said, it is trigeminal neuralgia. Regarding your queries, the replies are as follows:
1. It is difficult to say why it occurred after 39 years. However, since we do not have any previous MRIs, we do not know since when the vascular anomaly is present. Also, our body has adaptive abilities. So, symptoms do not occur for a long time.
2. Other medical conditions such as high BP, sugar and cholesterol do not trigger this compression.
3. There are no natural remedies to control or cure trigeminal neuralgia.
4. Medications useful in controlling the pain include- carbamazepine, oxcarbazepine, amitryptiline, pregabalin, etc. Since these are prescription medicines, your neurologist would prescribe them for you.
5. If medications do not help, a surgery called as MVD-microvascular decompression is useful.
Finally, let me reassure you that there is no need of any concern regarding this condition and there are no symptoms other than pain in trigeminal neuralgia.
For more details on trigeminal neuralgia, you may visit my blog article on the same topic-
Please get back if you have any more queries.
Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)
XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad