Getting sharp pain on head above ear for few seconds. Any complication?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Nov 2013
Nov 2013

Neurologist
Question
A sharp pain hits me on right side of head just above right ear and it last for about 5 to 7 seconds.
Then the pain subsides for about 12 to 18 seconds, then the pain comes back for another 5 t0 7
seconds. My head is sore to the touch in that spot--about the size of a half dollar.
Posted Sun, 24 Feb 2013 in Headache and Migraines

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 8 minutes later
Thank you for posting your query.
First of all, I would like to reassure you that these symptoms do not suggest any serious underlying brain disease.
Episodic short duration pain in your case is suggestive of neuralgic pain, mostly arising from the skin nerves.
It should resolve on its own soon.
If it is troubling you, you may take carbamazepine (tegretol) tablets or pregabalin (lyrica) capsules for pain relief.
I hope it helps. Please get back if you have any more queries.
Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist