Getting sharp pain in head, having irregular periods and feeling tired and moody. Any solution?

Sep 2012

hi i am 14 years old female and i have 3 problems.first i get sharp pains on the right side of my head the pain hurts so much i dig my nails in my head to feel that pain than the other then both of the stop after a minute.secondly my menstrual cycle is irregular but it hasnt come four a few months and i dont feel nothing from that atleast i dont think so.thirdly i get tired and moody when someone upsets me and i go in a rage and i dont know why because i dont mean to please answer my question.
Posted Fri, 16 Nov 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 3 hours later
I am giving your answers one by one.
1. The headache, you mentioned may be a chronic paroxysmal hemicrania. Absence of any other symptoms and its typical duration, clearly denotes this disease. But, it has to be confirmed by clinical examination. Investigation like CT Scan has to be done to exclude any neurological problem.

For this disease, you just have to take any nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drug. If taking medicine does not give any relief, consult with neurologist for further investigation and management.

2. Irregular period may be due to pregnancy or other hormonal problem. If you know that first one is not a possibility, then do the followings
- Test the total hormonal profile including thyroid profile, estrogen, FSH, LH and others.
- Do an ultrasound scan to exclude possibility of Polycystic ovarian syndrome.
- Consult with a gynaecologist for progesterone trial to start periods and also for further investigation and management.

3. If there is any hormonal problem, tiredness, depression and emotional disturbances are common finding. If polycystic ovary is not the cause then you can take escitalopram group of drugs after consulting your treating doctor.

Summary :- Most probably you are suffering from polycystic ovarian syndrome. Consult with gynaecologist for ordering total hormonal profile and ultrasound scan and also for further management.

Hope this information suffices. Let me know, if you have any more question.