Getting severe pain after spinal fusion. On norspan patch and started itching. Looking for cure

Good

ENT Specialist
Question
I am on norspan patch 10 mg as i have had a spinal fusion and my back is now wearing above and below the fusion and the pain had been unbearable. i am waiting to see a pain management team and my doctor has put me on the norspan till i get appointment. my problem is after 3 days the patch is making me itchy where it is in contact with skin, he has told me to use a cream a couple of days before i change it, but it's still itchy.
Posted Wed, 13 Mar 2013 in Asthma and Allergy

Answered by Dr. Ravinder Sharma 46 minutes later
Hello
I am Dr Ravinder Sharma ENT surgeon.

On the basis of the information provided it appears to be a allergic reaction to the patch. I would advise you to consult a deramtologist or a Pain management specialist.
In the the mean time I would advise you to take a antiallergic like cetrizine 10 mg tablet as this will help in reducing itching

I hope this answers your concern.
with regards
Ravinder Sharma

Follow-up: Getting severe pain after spinal fusion. On norspan patch and started itching. Looking for cure 12 hours later
what will happen if i remove the patch i have tried to move it onto a different area but i'm worried as it doesn't stick as well it may not work. will i have withdrawal if it doesn't work. i've been using the patch for 3 months.

Answered by Dr. Ravinder Sharma 28 hours later
Hello
Thanks for the follow up query

If you have allergy to the adhesive or medicine it will manifest at a new place of application also.
Yes there is a possibility of withdrawl symptoms (nausea is fairly common) if you discontinue it. All i can suggest is to take a antiallergic like cetrizine 10 mg tablet and use a adhesive over this patch and change the place of application. This will give you transient relief. In the mean time, consult a dermatologist or a pain management specialist

I hope this answers your query
with regards
Ravinder Sharma