Getting severe leg cramps at night. What is causing this?

Night leg pains occasionally, could be both legs at night, about 2:00-4:00 a,m, but pain is too great to know. Can't move as it hurts more. Could it be after drinking a couple of glasses of sweeter white wine, like Reisling?
Posted Thu, 21 Feb 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 1 hour later
Hi dear, Cramps are not uncommon at night, especially as we get older.

They can be quite severe and unpleasant.

The cause of this is not known, and none of the many theories, including lack of vitamins, minerals etc. have been proved.

Some doctors have got success with tab quinine sulphate, but this must be taken under medical supervision.

I request you to XXXXXXX a neurologist and discuss about starting this tablet.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have more concerns.

Thank you.