Getting severe back pain. Pain getting reduced after massaging with hifenac gel. Any suggestion?

Question
My wife is reporting a severe lower back pain since couple of weeks now, I am giving her a massage with hifenac gel, which has reduced it a bit but not completely, any suggestions on this is much appriciated
Posted Sat, 4 Aug 2012 in Back Pain

Answered by Dr. Ramesh M.Vachharajani 1 hour later
Hi XXXXXX

Thanks for posting query.

Low back pain at this age could be related to muscular ache (spasm) or lumbar spine/disc problem. It would be better if you can get her lumbosacral X-ray done to identify the cause of problem.

Usually such back aches are chronic condition and long term solution is through back strengthening exercise. Here she should lie down in the position where the back touches the ground and raise both legs upward and at the same time head should be lift upwards giving bow type shape. Keep this position for a while and then bring original position. Do this type of exercise for about 10 minutes.
In addition using hard bed for sleep, avoid bending forward and lifting heavy objects is advisable.

Currently continue Hifenec gel application. Warm compresses to the affected area along with oral pain relievers and muscle relaxants will give added benefits.

On second thoughts, I also wonder if the back complaints are related to any gynecology conditions. Does she have any problems with her menstrual period or whether or not she has any discharge?

Hope I have answered the query. Let me know if you have any further clarification.

Wish you and your wife good health

Follow-up: Getting severe back pain. Pain getting reduced after massaging with hifenac gel. Any suggestion? 14 hours later
Thanks for the instructions Doctor, will continue to monitor her back pain will let you know in case i need further help.

Hi XXXXXX

You are welcome. In future if you wish to ask me, I will be available here:
WWW.WWWW.WW
If you have no further queries for now, please close this discussion.

Thanks and Regards