Getting repetitive strain injuries of shoulder. What is causing this and the cure?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
hi, i have an RSI ailment in my left shoulder, it's been hurting for quite a while. i have been having it treated regularly since march but have noticed that since i have stopped using my iphone and ipad at night it is hurting less. i used to play games and such on my iphone for at least an hour at a time and i am right handed, so would this be a contributing factor to my injury?
Posted Sat, 27 Oct 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 45 minutes later
Repetitive strain injuries of shoulder are mainly aggravated by poor posture and muscle group weakness. Tenosynovitis and muscle sprains can add to the problem.
It causes local swelling and tenderness in the front of the shoulder and initially it presents as minor pain but gradually it causes severe pain and loss of motion.

You need to get an MRI scan done which is a more sensitive test for soft tissue and muscular injuries. An Orthopedician is the best person to be consulted.
Here are some general treatment measures which you can follow:
1) Provide complete rest and avoid overhead activities.
2) Apply cold compresses and take some anti inflammatory pain killer after consulting your doctor.
3) You can do some shoulder muscle strengthening exercises under the guidance of your physiotherapist.
If the symptoms are severe then after confirming the diagnosis by MRI, you may need steroid injections or surgical arthroscopic technique (kept as last resort).
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: Getting repetitive strain injuries of shoulder. What is causing this and the cure? 1 hour later
sorry, i should have mentioned that i have had an MRI on this shoulder and no inflammation was present, and i was told it is an RSI ailment. i work in a very busy sandwich bar where i have to constantly pass sandwiches over a counter top that is higher than my shoulder level. this is what i believe to be the initial cause of my injury but was wondering if constant use of my iphone/ipad was adding to it.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 7 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
The main cause seems to be the activities of the shoulder all throughout the day. Constant use of iphone can be an additive factor. Avoid doing all those activities that aggravate the pain for an early relief. Applying a local analgesic gel over the area after hot fomentation will help in decreasing the pain.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.