Getting red spot on cheek. How to treat this?

Hi , I'm 34 female always had quite good skin but last year or so have been getting red spots / blotches on cheeks ? What could this be and what causes it? The spots don't look puss filled ,if I do anything to my face it seems to make the redness worse
Posted Sun, 19 May 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 5 hours later
Dear patient,

Thanks a lot for your concerns.

By the description of the symptoms and your age well past puberty, there are several possibilities including rosacea, photosensitive damage including actinic keratosos and telangiectasias; as you mention well the lesions do not appear to be acne.

My best advise is for you to be seen by a dermatologist, who can see the lesions in person, palpate them and use a magnifier if needed. Most of the conditions I mentioned have specific treatments, therefore it would be worthwhile to visit a qualified dermatologist and confirm the possible cause.

Hope this is useful; let me know if you need clarifications.

Wish you the best health

dr brenes salazar md
mayo clinic rochester