Getting red blotches and itchy skin after eating. On antibiotic for prostate. Any proper solution?

Jul 2012

I get red blotches or itchy skin many times after I eat... it started after I got dehydrated running a 5K race... and got a prostate infection for which I took antibiotics and a steroid pack and has been continuing but slowing down for months... but it depends on the day... sometimes the blotches appear as scratches across my face... my arms get very itchy... I eat a lot of fish... mostly salmon and tuna... but lately mostly salmon
Posted Wed, 14 Nov 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 7 hours later
Hi there.
Yes it is very possible that this is an allergic phenomenon.
Do you have any blotches currently that you can perhaps take a clear digital photo & upload onto this site?
At 56, you will need to do a couple of blood tests to rule out any underlying pathology.
I recommend a CBC (complete blood count with ESR), Bleeding time, Clotting time & platelets with peripheral smear examination.
Take these reports to your dermatologist on the ground & it will give you a head start.
These things are best seen in person. Nothing to worry about, but best sorted out.
Relax. All will be clear soon!
Dr. Praveen Rodrigues MD