Getting recurring lumps on neck and under armpit. Pus comes after squeezing. Took antibiotic. Permanent cure?

Feb 2013

I keep getting recurring lumps on my neck and under one arm pit. Sometimes they can be squeezed and ooze pus but sometimes not and I've had to have drained by a dr. Followed by antibiotics. I've also had one in my nose. It's the recurrence that is bothering me.
Posted Sun, 31 Mar 2013 in Infections
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 2 hours later

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic.

The recurrent lumps on your neck and arm pit are looking like pustules which are caused by the bacteria.

Whenever they are small and without pus formation, they can be treated by local application of a topical antibiotic cream like mupirocin thrice daily for 5 to 7 days.

But if there is pus formation, pus has to be drained by giving a needle prick or an incision under aseptic and sterile condition by an expert.

I advise you not to squeeze them as the infection may spread to surrounding areas by squeezing leading to cellulitis and abscess formation.

Recurrent pustules will form in armpits, neck, and groins due to excessive sweating and presence of abundant hair follicles.

So I advise you to wear loose clothes to allow aeration to these areas to prevent sweating and take bathe twice daily to maintain hygeine in these areas.

And I advise you to test for blood glucose levels to rule out diabetes mellitus, as the recurrent pustular infections are may be associated with it.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.