Getting recurrent pain, tenderness and some swelling on skull. Have bulging discs, stenosis and arthritis

Geriatrics Specialist
I have recurrent pain, tenderness and some swelling at the base of my skull, mainly on the left.i do have vervical issues couple of bulging discs, stenosis and arthritis, but no recent injuries.Can these conditions be related to my skull pain?
Posted Fri, 29 Mar 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Surendiran Gaj 1 hour later
Hi there,

Yes of course, your swelling and tenderness at the base of skull might be due to the bulging disc and arthritis. The most common reason for persistent and recurrent pain on base of skull is due to slipped or bulging disc. This is due to the compression of nerve passing below these structures.
Neck pain resulting arthritis of the cervical spine can also cause moderate to severe discomfort at the base of the skull.
Remember, Sedentary lifestyle and wrong sleeping positions increases the symptoms. Doing neck massage and neck muscle exercise routinely with the help of physiotherapist, helps to relieve pain temporarily.
Do an X XXXXXXX neck and visit an orthopedician to know the extent of the damage and be treated accordingly.
Let me know if you have further questions.
Take care and get well soon.