Getting puss filled bumps and rashes on skin near tattoo. Concerned

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
Got rash starts out red then turns bumpy and white with puss comes out it has and eye like a pimple or boil. I only started getting it on when my tattoo was healed. The rash is on the tattoo
Posted Tue, 13 Nov 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 2 hours later
Considering the details you have provided you seem to be most probably suffering from tattooing induced skin infection.

A skin infection — which might cause redness, swelling, pain and a pus-like drainage is possible after tattooing.
You should not neglect this rash and get it evaluated by your doctor as soon as convenient . The doctor may carry out tests to confirm the causative infection whether acute bacterial or chronic mycobacterial etc and to rule out any allergic reaction ( for eg pus smear and culture )
After confirmation he can start you on most suitable antibiotic course either cephalosporins or tetracyclines etc along with local antibiotic ointments .
With proper treatment it should resolve completely within a couple of weeks .
So please do not hesitate to consult your doctor and even if it may seem a minor localized infection as of now do not delay treatment as there is a risk of further progression and spread if neglected.
Hope I have answered your query.
Kindly accept my answer if you have no further queries.