Getting pulsing sensation and pain in eye socket. Is this common or should I get it checked?

Hi, I have pain in my left side of my eye socket since last 2 days. It kind of goes along with pulse, i.e. as the blood flows through. Earlier it used to happen once in a while (2 days back) but now it is continuous...even during my sleep. I earlier felt that the pain will go, might be due to stress. But it has increased and I am not able to understand why. I don't remember of an external injury as well. I am currently in Singapore (till next month) and wondering if I should go to see a doctor for this reason. Do you think this might be a common symptom for something I am not aware of? What kind of tests might be helpful, if you think I need to get them done for root cause analysis?

Here is an image to show where exactly the pain is - WWW.WWWW.WW (the area just above where the wrinkles are densest)
Posted Sun, 5 May 2013 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 1 hour later

Thank you for your query.

Do you have any history of high blood pressure or in the family? Are you suffering from upper cold and cough) at present?

The site suggested by you suggests that you get your eyes and upper airways checked up to rule out sinus infection of the maxillary area. Following examination the doctor would suggest appropriate investigations.

I hope I have answered your query to your satisfaction. Please feel free to revert back in case you need any clarifications or would like to share more facts.

Wishing you all the best.

Rajiv K Khandelwal
Follow-up: Getting pulsing sensation and pain in eye socket. Is this common or should I get it checked? 1 hour later
Hello Doctor,

Thank you for responding to my query. Today during sleep the area was paining a lot. It reduced once I changed my side. However, while I was washing my face sometime back, pain started again. This suggests me that the pain might be due to a physical injury. Can't be sure though.

To answer to your question - I once (4 - 5 years back) have had a low B.P. problem where I had fainted. After treatment nothing as such happened again. About high B.P., no there is no such history in my family.

I was suffering from cold and cough about a month back and my coughing did not stop at all. I had to undergo tests where I got to know that my respiratory tract is highly sensitive. So, even when I don't have infection, if I stay under high speed fan for a long time or a strong A.C. etc, I start coughing. As a solution I have been given a puff (not asthama ones) which I should take twice every day.

For the site link I have sent in my initial query, it is just to show you where the pain area is (in the image). I just googled it and it has got nothing to do with what site suggests. Please let me know if this changes your advise too.

Many thanks,
Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 5 minutes later

Thanks for the update.

I could make out that the picture was not the one that you had taken.

The details provided by you suggest some infection in your maxillary sinus for which should see a ENT doctor and, if required, go for CT scan of the sinuses.

I hope I have responded to your query to your satisfaction.

Wishing you an early recovery.