Getting puffy red cheeks and dry skin after quitting smoking. Any suggestion?

Jul 2012

I quit smoking 6 weeks ago. About 2 weeks ago I started to get puffy red cheeks, my skin has gone so dry too. I'm female 48 years old. I've never had bad/dry skin before. The skin feels slightly thicker too.

Thank you
Posted Wed, 10 Oct 2012 in Smoking and Alcohol Addiction
Answered by Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 2 hours later
Hi there XXXXXXX
Quitting smoking sure must have been difficult. Qudos to you for the effort.
i doubt the puffy red cheeks & thicker skin has musch to do with the smoking. It is very possible though that nicotine per se was a factor in keeping the redness down. We do use nicotinamide gel in certain types of acne lesions & it may be a factor to consider. Is it possible that you are peri-menopausal. The features you describe are 'rosacea-like ' in nature. Avoid topical corticosteroids. Use a sunscreen with built-in moisturiser daily mornings from XXXXXXX to dusk. Neutrogena has one such product with a moisturiser built-in; the SPF is not that imp 30SPF should be fine. Follow that up with a topical cream evenings called sensibio d.s. from Bioderma.These can be got off the shelf at a pharmacy & will not require prescriptions. If this does not solve the issue at hand, then topical 1% pimecrolimus or 2% metronidazole gel applied evenings may be the order of the day but this is best done in conjunction with a visit to the dermatologist on the ground near you. Do consider the menstrual cycle issue & perhaps any consumption of Oral contaceptives et al may be detrimental along similar lines.
Cheers & wish you a quick resolution & all the best!
Dr Praveen Rodrigues MD