Getting problem while defecating. Experiencing itching and pain around anus. Anal fissure?

General Surgeon
I am getting problem while defecating. I suspect anal fissure - yet no confirm bleeding. I am experiencing Itchiness or pain around the anus almost all the time. Though it's resistible but quite irritating. This has been existing for nearly 3 - 4 months now, but, since past couple of days the irritation has increased significantly.
Posted Mon, 1 Apr 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 51 minutes later

Thank you for the query.

Anal fissure gives strong pain in the anus while passing the stool. Also fresh blood in stool can appear (on the surface of the stool). Itchiness and pain around the anus (mild pain) can be also caused by hemorrhoids.
Both conditions are associated with constipation, bad diet, lack of physical activity.
To improve your symptoms you should increase fiber XXXXXXX products, mineral water intake, avoid fatty foods. Wash you anus after every stool and keep it clean. Sitz baths with Quercus Cortex twice a day should be very helpful. You can also use hemorrhoids suppositories (should help with both conditions).
If such treatment wont help in a week or so, you should visit your doctor and have rectal examination performed.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Follow-up: Getting problem while defecating. Experiencing itching and pain around anus. Anal fissure? 45 hours later
Hi Doctor!

I have seen a local doctor here and under medication for 3 days and if that does not help then have to go for rectal examination. The local doctor suspects anal fissure.

Thanks for the help.

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 5 hours later

Good to hear that. I hope you will be fine. Just note that if this is fissure indeed, Nitroglycerine cream can be very helpful. Its role is to relax rectal muscle so the stool wont be tearing it.