Getting pressure on calf and noticed bulging vein on shin. Worrisome

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Feb 2014
Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Question
very worried about veins and pressure when I kneel down after a little while I feel pressure in my calfs and under my feet. when I stand my legs are red and veins are bulging on shins. no pain. just very.very worried I do not exercise much at all. I am a lazy person and people are telling me its because I don't use my muscles. I am a 28 year old male.
Posted Fri, 8 Mar 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 4 hours later

From description it seems you might having varicose vein over your leg.Varicose veins are twisted, enlarged veins near the surface of the skin. They are most common in the legs and ankles. They usually aren't serious, but they can sometimes lead to other problems.
Home treatment may be all you need to ease your symptoms and keep the varicose veins from getting worse. You can:
Wear compression stockings.
Prop up (elevate) your legs.
Avoid long periods of sitting or standing.
Get plenty of exercise

I hope this is helpful to you.

Wishing you good health...

Regards.
Dr Saurabh Gupta.
Orthopaedic Surgeon.

Follow-up: Getting pressure on calf and noticed bulging vein on shin. Worrisome 1 hour later
these are enlarged surface veins but not curved just straight enlarged veins. could this be the start of varicose

Hi.
Thanks for posting your query again.

This could be the start of varicose.

If you have any questions I will be happy to answer.
Please close the query if you have no other questions.

they bulg when I stand up after laying or sitting or squatting and slowly go back down. they are not curling XXXXXXX pictures of varicose that I have seen. there is also no pain just pressure when squatting or standing after sitting. pressure in lower legs and feet and skin sometimes becomes red but never does hurt. I was concerned that I had peripheral artery disease or XXXXXXX vein thrombosis. does this sou.d like a side affect of these two conditions or is it more likely to be possible varicose or a result of not using my legs enough? other than these symptoms I feel fine physically. the sight of the veins is scary to me because I never noticed them before. I have been under a lot of stress since September this isn't a side effect of stress or I could I be causing physical ailments by stressing so much about my body? thank you for your time and answers

The symptoms you describe more likely points towards the varicose.Varicose veins are caused by weakened valves and veins in your legs. Normally, one-way valves in your veins keep blood flowing from your legs up toward your heart. When these valves do not work as they should, blood collects in your legs, and pressure builds up.That is the reason they bulg when you stand up after laying or sitting or squatting and slowly go back down.
Varicose veins are common and usually aren't a sign of a serious problem. But in some cases, varicose veins can be a sign of a blockage in the deeper veins called XXXXXXX vein thrombosis. If you have this problem, you may need treatment for it.

I hope I have answered your query to your satisfaction. Please feel free to revert back in case you need any clarifications.

Wishing you good health...

Regards.
Dr Saurabh Gupta.
Orthopaedic Surgeon.