Getting popping noise and cramps in calves muscles. Is this similar to rest less leg syndrome?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
I have symtoms similair to Rest less Leg syndrome. It gets worse on days when I am stressed. I have had these symptoms for quite sometime now.I am trainer so my feet especially ankles hurt. there is popping noise everytime i move them, i get cramps also especially in calves muscles. NOW THE PROBLEMS-
1)The problem is i am left handed so my right side specially my right arm and hand always feels lighter.. i feel numbness at right hand finger tips and right elbow.
2) everytime i stretch my hand and arm i feel tension and pain in complete arm.
3)i feel numbness and pain in both my feet when i wake up.
4)My right shoulder and cheeks( JAW) pops everytime i rotate it/open it

doctor online had recomended me VIT B12 , VIT D , Serum Ferretin, Sugar .
The results are appended below.
Fasting Blood sugar --84 mg/dl
Urine Sugar ---NIL
Ferretin( NEPHELOMETRY) ---57.6 ng/ml
VITAMIN D ---21.0 ng/ml ( Mildly Deficient)
VIT B12 ----356.6

pls advise

Posted Sun, 28 Oct 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Sathyadharan Panneer 2 hours later
Dear XXXXXXX,

I see that you are suffering from popping sounds in Right shoulder, both legs and your jaw whenever you move them. There is also numbness in both your legs and Right upper limb.

Your blood investigations are normal except for mild decrease in Vitamin.D. Taking Vitamin D3 along with calcium for a month or so will help you in relieving the cramps also. Discuss with your doctor.

Popping sounds in joints are normal. Since you are experiencing such sounds from your jaw also, i would suggest you to get a dental opinion.

I would like you to clarify few of my queries so that i can guide you better.

1. Is there any neck pain or low back pain?
2. Since how long are you suffering from this numbness?
3. In which fingers you have numbness?
4. Does the numbness in hand present even in night? or only at work it increases?

Waiting for your reply.

Dr.Sathyadharan

Follow-up: Getting popping noise and cramps in calves muscles. Is this similar to rest less leg syndrome? 23 minutes later
I have neck pain

weakness from last 5-6 yrs but numbness last 2 yrs

3. In which fingers you have numbness?
almost all of them but less in thumb and index finger.. most in small finger

Numbness at all times but during work like typing etc get pain in hand and shoulder.
i have a feeling the numbness gets worse at night especially when i am unable to sleep that is when the symptoms are similair to REST less LEG SYNDROME

Answered by Dr. Sathyadharan Panneer 16 minutes later
Thanks for clarifying my query.

It seems you are suffering from cervical spondylosis involving probably c7/c8 nerves. Since you have started experiencing numbness in fingers, it is essential to consult with your orthopaedician. He will do a complete clinical examination and might order of a XRay /MRI of your cervical spine.

Till then,

1. Avoid pillows for neck,
2. Avoid sitting for long time, leaning forward,
3. Avoid driving 2-wheelers or any activities that causes jerks / stresses your neck,
4. Check whether your Table/Chair in your work place are ergonomically comfortable,
5. Using a soft cervical collar might be of helpful.

If you have any clarifications, feel free to ask.

Get well soon,
Dr.Sathyadharan.

Follow-up: Getting popping noise and cramps in calves muscles. Is this similar to rest less leg syndrome? 44 minutes later

I got my X XXXXXXX for shoulders and cervical spine done. only observation was mild tension in shoulder muscles( connecting shoulders to neck) esle it was fine.

What will you advise for fingers and numbness? can you pls prescribe medicine with dosage. as i donot want to go to a doctor at this point.

what medicines will you advise for VIT D?

How serious is the situation? is this completely treatable/curable or i will have to live with it?

Answered by Dr. Sathyadharan Panneer 6 hours later
Thanks for your reply,

Xrays will only show bony changes. Nerve compression & its cause can only be identified by MRI. Numbness & weakness in fingers are signs of nerve compression. The condition can be cured if exact cause for nerve compression is identified. Since your symptoms are chronic, medications might fail.

1. Cap.Pregaba-M 75mg for numbness in fingers,
2. Inj.Arachitol 6 lac units for Vitamin D deficiency.

All these medications should be taken with a proper prescription from your doctor, as excess use can cause toxicity.

Get well soon.