Getting pin and needles pain from ingunial hernia. Treatment?

Question
I had ingunial hernia in Feb of 2010. At this time I have been having pin and needeles pain in that area.
Posted Wed, 11 Apr 2012 in Men's Health

Answered by Dr. Mohammed Tauseef 40 minutes later

Thank you for the query.

As I believe the more information a person gives the better is the doctor reply. Answers to the following questions will help me in understanding your problem better and satisfy you with my answer. Hence please answer the following;

1.) Since how long are you having this pins and needles sensation?
2.) Do you have difficulty passing urine or stools?
3.) Do you get fever?
4.) Do you have pain in the operated area?
5.) Do you have any loss of sensation there?
6.) Are you Diabetic?
7.) Do you similar complaints anywhere else on your body?

Pins and needle sensation referred to as 'paraesthesia' and pain can occur due nerve damages near the hernia site. I was able to review your operative report and it seems ok to me.

Focal examination by a neurologist will help you ruling out other causes. Some prescription drugs such as pregabalin and multivitamins may help you in reducing the symptoms. Neurologist can also prescribe these medications to you.

Hope I have answered your query, I will be available to answer your follow up Queries.

Wish you Good Health.

Take Care.

Dr. Mohammed Tauseef.

Follow-up: Getting pin and needles pain from ingunial hernia. Treatment? 7 hours later
I have the pins and needels from after my operation. And everything else is okay
Follow-up: Getting pin and needles pain from ingunial hernia. Treatment? 11 hours later
I am not a diabitic. I go to the bathroom good. I dont have a fever. I actually went to the doctor today and they said I have nerve damage. The urgent care.

Answered by Dr. Mohammed Tauseef 5 hours later
Hello XXXXXXX

Thank you for writing back to me.

One thing which I was wondering was that you haven't mentioned the side which has the symptoms, since your Operative report says you had Bilateral Inguinal Hernias and you have had them operated on both.

Your follow up History seems to be fine considering risk factors except, the nerve damage. It suggests you are suffering from Meralgia Paresthetica, which is a condition characterized by tingling, numbness and burning pain in the outer and upper part of your thigh, secondary to the nerve damage.

I would suggest you kindly get yourself examined by a Neurologist so the he/she can do a comprehensive Physical examination and run few tests like, to rule out the exact cause. Once confirmed, you will be treated accordingly.

1.) X XXXXXXX of hip and Pelvis to rule out any Nerve Compression.
2.) Electromyography (EMG)
3.) Nerve Conduction Studies.

The treatment options involves,

1.) Corticosteroid Injections.
2.) Trycyclic Antidepressants.
3.) Nootropics (Smart Drugs) and Anti seizure medications.
4.) Analgesics
5.) Surgery, if there is a nerve compression.

In addition to this, bring in some lifestyle modifications,

1.) Exercise regularly for 30 to 40 Minutes daily and maintain a healthy weight.
2.) Wear loose clothing
3.) Avoid standing or walking for long periods.
4.) Avoid stress, practice relaxation techniques like yoga and meditation.
5.) Avoid smoking and alcohol if you do.
6.) Eat healthy nutritious balanced diet which should include fresh fruits and XXXXXXX leafy vegetables.
7.) Stick to your treatment plan and go for regular follow up.

Hope this Information will be of help to you.

Wish you Good Health, Take Care.

Dr. Mohammed Tauseef.

Follow-up: Getting pin and needles pain from ingunial hernia. Treatment? 21 hours later
The right side.

Answered by Dr. Mohammed Tauseef 16 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX

Thank you once again for writing back.

I hope there are no significant symptoms on the left side. Anyways, As I said earlier, get yourself examined by a Neurologist and follow the advice which I have given, stick to your treatment plan and go for regular follow up.

Wish you Very Good Health and All the Best.

Dr. Mohammed Tauseef.

Follow-up: Getting pin and needles pain from ingunial hernia. Treatment? 1 hour later
Should I see my surgery doctor first?

Answered by Dr. Mohammed Tauseef 18 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX
Thanks for the follow up.

You should be seeing a Neurologist first, let him evaluate you, and then depending upon your findings he will guide you from there on.

Dr. Mohammed Tauseef.