Getting paraspinal muscle spasm. Treatment for cervical lordosis?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Hello doctor
What is the solution for Cervical Lordosis s/o.paraspinal Muscle Spasm as seen in my husband's report exactly mean ?
Posted Sat, 9 Mar 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Sathyadharan Panneer 3 hours later

Thanks for writing in,

I see that there are no reports attached with this query.

Loss of cervical lordosis occurs whenever there is paraspinal muscle spasm. Paraspinal muscles go into spasm when there is an insult to the vertebral column or spinal nerves.

From the history i can see that your husband's problem is due to his desk job. This problem is very common in those who work in sitting posture with head bent forwards (rather than looking straight). Prolonged sitting in such posture leads to low back ache and neck pain which ultimately results in spondylosis of the spinal segments involved.

If he is not having any neurological symptoms like numbness, paresthesia or weakness in his limbs, then simple muscle relaxants with physiotherapy will help. Rest to the part is very important during acute attacks.

Physiotherapy like interferential therapy at the painful site and later on exercises to strengthen the neck and spine muscles will reduce the frequency of such attacks.

Using good ergonomically designed tables and chairs for desk job, avoiding prolonged sitting, taking rest of hard surface without pillows, avoiding lifting heavy weights will prevent the progression of the spondylosis.

Iodex ultragel are meant to for short-term pain relief.

Wish him a speedy recovery.
Follow-up: Getting paraspinal muscle spasm. Treatment for cervical lordosis? 1 hour later
Thanks doctor for your detailed explanation . I have tried to attach the report once again to this query .

Regarding the neurological symptoms which you have mentioned he gets his veins very prominent (visibe outside) but this happens whenever he does some lifting kind of work and the pain at that time is very intense and that part becomes slight reddish. I dont know this falls in which category ( numbness , paresthsia , weakness in limbs as you mentioned ) . Also I forgot to mention that he is very lean in appearance and weighs only 56 kgs no matter how much he eats , he never goes above 60 kgs .

Reg: interferential therapy- should i ask this query to a physiotherapist to know in detail.

Rest all the advises given by you will be followed strictly.

Thank you once again .

Answered by Dr. Sathyadharan Panneer 2 hours later
Prominent veins don't fall under neurological symptoms. It is normal for veins to become prominent during strenuous activities, that too in a lean person.

Interferential therapy (IFT) is a modality of physiotherapy treatment were electrodes are placed around painful site. It relieves muscle spasm and thereby reduces pain. It can be taken once or twice a day for 3-5 days depending upon the severity of pain. Few patients might experience increase in pain after initial doses of IFT. IFT is just a supplementary treatment. It is not mandatory to have IFT done.

Sometimes weight of an individual is determined by unknown genetic factors too, which keeps his BMR high or controls the satiety and/or appetite center(s) in brain.

Hope i have clarified your queries.