Getting pap smear every year. Took niaspan. Started irregular periods. Ultrasound done. Any complication?

OBGYN, Gynecologic Oncology
i just had a ultersound today i am 54 women i get pap smear ever year the women
who was doing the altersound kept on going in the middle of urters many times. can you tell
why . iam scared what they may had find. I was taking niaspan for my high chrolstol. before that
i have stop have periods. when i stared to take niaspan month later i stared my periord it lasted for
10 days and then everday i was spotting that when i called my doctor she said to stop taking niaspan
and she sent me to get a ultersound.
Posted Thu, 30 Aug 2012 in Head Injuries
Answered by Dr. Manjunath L Ramarajapalli 8 hours later

Post menopausal bleeding/spotting occurs when there is endometrial pathology like endometrial hyperplasia, endometrial cancer, etc.

It would be hard to guess what was found on the ultrasound scan without looking at the reports. But with the information your provided, may be you have an endometrial (uterine) pathology. Also it could be drug induced as you were taking medication for high cholesterol. Drug induced hyperplasia of endometrium is usually reversible when person stops taking drugs.

Please discuss with the radiologist / gynecologist to know about the results. Let me know the ultrasound report and I will be able to give further information.

Good luck!