Getting pale orange stools with white lumps and pain in upper abdomen. Any solutions?

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
Pale orange stools with white lumps also pain in upper abdomen and back, had a colonoscopy but it was abandonded because of pain in my left upper abdomen, awaiting CT scan.

Posted Wed, 7 Nov 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Ketan Vagholkar 2 hours later
Thanks for writing in.
Pale stools as long as they are not clay colored should not be a cause for concern. However white lumps in stools signify passage of abundant mucus.
The cause can be either infection or tumors. For this you need to undergo a battery of investgations as follows.
1. CBC
2. Liver function tests
3. Electrolyte estimation in blood
4. Stools for occult blood.
5 A routine stool examination for infective cause.
6. As colonoscopy could not be done then adouble contrst Ct of the abdomen should be done.
the possibilities could be
1. Infective causes though unlikely in the western world.
2.Inflammatory bowel disease.
3. Tumors of the colon and rectum namely villous adenomas or colloid carcinomas which are known to secrete abundant mucus.
A combination of the aforementioned tests will help in arriving at a diagnosis at the earliest.
I hope this answers your querry.If you have any further doubt or reports become available please write to me which will enable me to offer you advice.

With regards