Getting painful and heavy periods with lots of clots. Should I be worried?

Hi i am a 39 year old female and i have started getting really heavy periods, lots of blood clots to and quite painfull, my periods are very regular .
Posted Fri, 31 Aug 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
From the history it seems that you are having Dysfunctional uterine bleeding. The heavy bleeding that you are having can be due to uterine fibroids, polyps or hormonal disturbances. For diagnosis, you need to have an ultrasound scan of your lower abdomen and some blood tests.
Laboratory assessment of hemoglobin, luteinizing hormone (LH), follicle stimulating hormone (FSH), prolactin, T4, thyroid stimulating hormone (TSH), pregnancy (by βhCG), and androgen profile can be done.
The management of this condition would require treatment with progesterone to stabilize the endometrium and reduce bleeding along with hemostatic agents like ethamsylate or tranexaemic acid . Oral contraceptive pills (OCPs) suppress endometrial development, reestablish predictable bleeding patterns, decrease menstrual flow, and lower the risk of proper therapy.
Meanwhile start taking iron supplements to combat excessive blood loss from your body.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Follow-up: Getting painful and heavy periods with lots of clots. Should I be worried? 7 minutes later
i can not take oral constrseptive it does not work for me at all . i am also trying to concieve to and have had all the tests done and they are normal
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 57 minutes later
Thanks for writing again.
In that case you need an individualized treatment. You can get the specific hormone therapy prescribed from your gynecologist after investigations.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.