Getting pain under rib cage, Pain spreading under the breast, throat and back. How to get cured?

Question
I keep getting an aching pain under my left rib cage spreading under the left breast and up to the throat, sometimes it moves into the right side too. The pain also goes through to my back.
Posted Tue, 31 Jul 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Ashwini Kolur 2 hours later
Hello

I will try my best to provide you with best possible professional recommendations to your questions.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. The symptoms you have mentioned are suggestive of gastritis.

I advice you to take proton pump inhibitor these are over the counter medication easily available in most of the drug stores. It should be taken once daily early morning, before breakfast. Take these drug for a week. These drug reduces the acid secretion and thus reducing the symptoms.

Along with the medication avoid eating spicy food, alcohol and smoking. I advice you to follow these, usually symptoms should decrease by 2 to 3days. If the symptom persist, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps.

As you have mentioned the heart condition, it will be better if you go for ECG test and consult the doctor with it.

Yet again, I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further query.

Hope i have cleared your queries. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer

Follow-up: Getting pain under rib cage, Pain spreading under the breast, throat and back. How to get cured? 3 hours later
Thank you for your reply. I do have one or two more questions for your opinion please.

If it was gastritis wouldn't I have felt sick or been sick? Or have diarrhoea? Neither of which was the case.

Could it be suggestive of an ulcer? I wonder this because I take 150mg of aspirin a day for the AF although I do take omeprazole to prevent this. (Sorry I forgot to mention.)

Could it be caused by a food intolerance? For the last six months or so I have been drinking black coffee again which several years ago I was told I was intolerant of.

Would it be anything to do with the chest or oesophagus as the aching pain is around the ribs and up to the throat?

My symptoms are not continuous, more like a bout of. However, they are becoming more frequent at present.

Thank you.

Answered by Dr. Ashwini Kolur 23 hours later
Hello
Good to hear from you.

Gastritis will present with the symptoms mentioned by you. Ulcer is less likely as the dose of aspirin is fine.

I advice you to follow the instruction as given above for week. You should be fine.

Food intolerance and black coffee can also be responsible. It is better to avoid it for few days to know whether it will help you.

Muscle spasm can also be responsible for pain under rib cage but associate throat pain is less likely to occur with this.

If the symptom persist or increases, as mentioned above you are requested to consult your doctor.

Hope i have cleared your queries. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer.
Wish you good health.