Getting pain under breast. Feeling dizzy, headache, cough and vomiting. Any advice?

I get a lot of pain under breast area mostly when I eat or tired. A week ago I was eating very slowly. My head went all dizzy and my air seemed to be cut off. I really thought it was the end of me. I even looked at the floor and thought to myself I was going to drop there and thought please don't let me suffer. I some how got myself up to go for air and I coughed and threw up in my hand but it was not like a normal throw up. I got myself outside and still was trying to breath.....just very dizzy and tired. I have passed out eating before. I get light headed often when I eat or drink. Thank you for any advise you can give me
Posted Wed, 1 Aug 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Aparna Kohli 3 hours later
Thanks for writing in.
Given your description, we should be looking at 2 conditions for you. Ischemic heart disease and Peptic ulcer disease. Ischemic heart disease is a condition where the blood supply to the heart decreases during exertion. Exertion can be a meal, walking around or some physical or emotional activity as well. To rule this out, we would need an ECG ( electrocardiogram) and a treadmill stress test as well.
If the ECG and stress test are fine, the second and less likely possibility is peptic ulcer disease. Having small meals at regular intervals; avoiding excessive caffeine, tobacco and alcohol and taking Tablet Prevacid OTC 1 tablet one hour before meals should help you take care of the symptoms.
But I would strongly urge you to see your physician as soon as possible. If this is left ignored, you may end up with a heart attack and that is something both of us definitely want to avoid.
Let me know if I can address any more concerns.
Follow-up: Getting pain under breast. Feeling dizzy, headache, cough and vomiting. Any advice? 18 hours later
Thank you
I do bike and walk but I find it tight across my back and chest but no pain there just tight. I have the pain below my breast in the middle sometimes even when I wake up in the morning. I do take Tecta that the doctor gave me for heart burn but I do not feel that is my problem. I just lost my Dad from heart failure and almost two years ago my sister had a heart attack. The doctor did send me for a breathing test which I did pass so the doctor did not think it was my heart but she is sending me for some other test but she said it would take awhile since it is not urgent. Thanks again
Follow-up: Getting pain under breast. Feeling dizzy, headache, cough and vomiting. Any advice? 29 minutes later
I should have told you that sometimes it is hard to swallow just salvia and sometimes even brushing I feel like I am going to choke because I can not swallow.
Answered by Dr. Aparna Kohli 8 hours later
Thanks for writing back.
Given this new information, I would strongly urge you to get an ECG and a treadmill test. Your symptoms indicate that an evaluation must be done as we are probably looking at a heart problem. Sometimes pain coming from the heart is felt in the back, jaw or even the abdomen. Given your age and family history, it would be extremely advisable to rule this condition out.
Difficulty in swallowing saliva is seen in conditions like esophageal spasm and anxiety. Esophageal spasm is something which is not very common. But anxiety is definitely one thing we should be looking to rule out as it can possibly explain the rest of your symptoms as well.
Let me know if I can address any more concerns