Getting pain on foot. Pain has started spreading. Is this due to shoes?

Allergist and Immunologist
hello, XXXXXXX here. lately it seem like my left foot is starting to feel painful around my big toe and the two next to it. the bottom of my foot (under the toes ) seems to feel like it is spreading out". at first i thought it was a shoe problem ,but it seems that shoes that never before gave me this problem now do. even when i go w/o shoes i feel this somewhat painful area of my foot. thanks
Posted Fri, 17 May 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Sujoy Khan 1 hour later

Welcome to Healthcare Magic and thank you for writing to us.

At your age and the symptoms you describe (painful left big toe and small toes), it is important to know that there is no redness, swelling at the joint. Gout is a high possibility and serum uric acid levels need to be checked if the diagnosis is not certain just on examination.

Raised cholesterol levels by itself do not cause problems, but if you are on treatment with a fibrate or combination of statin+fibrate, you can get muscular pains and occasionally joint stiffness.

Serum creatinine, urea, BUN, uric acid levels and a plain X XXXXXXX (AP and lateral views) would be the recommended tests.

If gout is obvious, the treatment is naproxen or ibuprofen (NSAID group of drugs) only. If the uric acid is elevated, then there are specific drugs to lower this.

I hope this was useful.
Best Wishes.
Follow-up: Getting pain on foot. Pain has started spreading. Is this due to shoes? 30 hours later
thanks, the joint does not hurt. does gout always involve the joint? there is no swelling to speak of (not in the way swelling usually is) and there is no redness.. It could be my new work boots just are not fitting well. mainly the bottom of my foot just back of where my toes are is where the pain is. your opinion matters thanks for your input. at least i found out a little bit more of the tests i may get. thanks please reply when time permits. XXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Sujoy Khan 6 hours later

Gout is a disease of the joints, maily the 1st big toe although other joints can be involved.
It is good though there is no redness but the swelling needs evaluation.
Please try and get the tests done and seen by your doctor.
Of course, trying a different pair of comfortable shoes or clipping toe nails will help.

Best Wishes.