Getting pain in upper abdomen and under chest area. Any ideas of what this could be?

My husband, 51 years old, has complained off and on of a squeezing type pain in his right side upper abdomen, kind of where his ribs are under the chest area. He will take a supplement now and then to clear out constipation and sometimes the pain goes away. He has been having a lot of anxiety lately, not sure if that is related, but he does constantly worry about the pain. Any ideas of what this could be? When I look it up, muscular comes up, as well as the constipation, and a whole lot of other conditions. I know he needs to get checked by the doctor, but I would say this pain has come and gone many times over the last 20 years.
Posted Tue, 16 Apr 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Charles S Narasi 22 minutes later

The location of the pain, the right upper quadrant usually is associated with gallbladder problems or the part of the large bowel that is close to the liver called the "Hepatic Flexure".

If a person is frequently constipated, there could be build up of gas along with hard stools, trapped in that part of the bowel giving pain and discomfort with relief after passage of stool and gas. That could be the case as well.

He needs to get a sonogram of his gallbladder and liver. Since he has reached the age of 50+, he needs a screening colonoscopy. (March is Colon cancer awareness)

I suggest that he schedule this as soon as possible to rule out any growths, polyps or anything that might be causing partial blockage.

He is taking Prevacid which is good.

Make sure that he gets enough fiber in the diet along with fluids.

A stool softener may be helpful daily, such as Colace or Surfak.

Hope, I answered your query.

Please let me know if there are any other concerns.