Getting pain in throat while moving head and discomfort in ear. Should I consult a doctor?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Nov 2013
Nov 2013

Neurologist
Question
When I turn my head to the left I have great pain in my throat, I doesn't hurt to swallow. Great pains when trying to put my chin on my left shoulder and some Discomfort in my left ear also. Should I see a doctor as I have had this for sometime, it comes and goes. Thanks
Posted Sun, 4 Nov 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 2 hours later
Thank you for contacting Healthcare magic.

First of all, let me reassure you that your symptoms do not suggest any serious problem.

The most likely cause could be local muscle stiffness or spasm, as the pain is getting aggravated with movements.

As of now, you could use analgesic tablets and creams (such as ibuprofen and diclofenac). If you get better, well and good.
If symptoms still persist despite the above measures, you may consult the doctor.

I hope it helps. Please get back if you have any more queries.
Best wisehs,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM

Follow-up: Getting pain in throat while moving head and discomfort in ear. Should I consult a doctor? 7 hours later
Sorry I should have pointed out it feels like my gland not actually my neck

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 7 hours later
Thank you for getting back with more details.

Gland in the neck if often due to throat infection. And it may persist for some time, even after the infection goes. The throat pain can get referred to ear, as the nerve supply for both the regions is same.

If you have any symptoms of active infection, such as fever, pain while swallowing (odynophagia), reddish inflammation in throat (can see with torch in the mirror with mouth wide open), then, you should take a course of antibiotics, otherwise, just keep a watch.

I hope it clarifies. Please get back if you have any more queries.
Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM