Getting pain in the back of head and tenderness on top of head. CT scan normal. Occipital neuralgia?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Nov 2013
Nov 2013

Neurologist
Question
i have pain in the back of my head. tenderness on top of my head. My right pupil is dialated. Over the counter pain medications helps, but does not alievate the discomfort. I had a CT scan that came back normal. are these symptoms caused from Occipital neuralia?
Posted Sat, 9 Feb 2013 in Headache and Migraines

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 3 hours later
Thank you for posting your query.

First of all, I wish to reassure you that your headache is not due to any serious brain disease as your symptoms do not suggest so and the CT brain is normal.

The most likely cause in your case could be muscle tension headache. You may benefit from dothiepin or amitryptiline tablets.

Occipital neuralgia is unlikely in your case as the pain in this condition is transient lasting for a few seconds to minutes.

I hope it is helpful.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist