Getting pain in outer ear. How to get relief?

Pathologist and Microbiologist
i feel little sensation in my outer right ear ... there is very little pain which happens for fraction of seconds and goes off... very difficult to explain ... the tendency is only with right ear.
it started like 6 month back ... the frequency was once in blue moon .. but now in winters ... the frequency has increased and time of pain also ... and the area has extended to middle outer portion of ear
Posted Sat, 9 Feb 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Shailja Puri 15 minutes later
Hello and welcome to Healthcare Magic,

Pain localized to the outer ear suggests pathology in the outer ear only. The process may be involving the skin, cartilage or the hair present in the ear canal. Furuncolosis which is an inflammation of the hair roots can cause pain. But that pain is continuous and severe. Other entities which can cause pain in the external ear are impacted wax, fungal infection, etc.

Perichondritis- inflammation of the cartilage can also similar cause pain. Do you have any past history of trauma or previous infection?

A clinical examination of external ear and the ear drum is necessary to make a diagnosis. Kindly consult your ENT specialist for a clinical evaluation, diagnosis and treatment.

If you require any further clarification, please let me know. I will be glad to answer.
Dr Shailja P Wahal
Follow-up: Getting pain in outer ear. How to get relief? 1 hour later
i have no past history for trauma or previous infection.

Also mwant to mention that earlier when tickling happens .. it goes off immediately just byt rubbing the ear.
Answered by Dr. Shailja Puri 7 hours later
Thanks for writing back.

Tickling sensation indicates some kind of deficiency- vitamin B 12 or doctor for clinical examination before resorting to any medication.

Dr Shailja P Wahal