Getting pain in lower abdomen, groin area and noticed bruise on pelvic bone. Kidney stone?

General Surgeon
I've been getting pain in my lower left abdomen, I've been feeling dehydrated and recent changed my diet to intake less in an effort to lose weight.
I have also been walking a lot more than usual.
My stomach feels strained a lot and bruising has formed on my pelvis bone (which might explain the pain)
I'm male, 81Kilos, 28 years old. I have also been having difficulty producing a healthy amount of feces compared to what I have been eating..
I feel no nausea, but a dull pain in my lower left abdomen which occasionally moves to the right side after I eat.

I often feel bloated and my abdomen feels tight.
My abdomen isn't sore to the touch except for the area of the bruising (which is very minimal but visible)
In certain positions, such a twisting or bending - the area where the bruising is can hurt more.
I was concerned it was a kidney stone - I have no history of this in my family.
Posted Tue, 1 Jan 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 1 hour later

Thank you for the query.

If your pain is in the lower abdomen and groin area, this bruising seems to be inguinal hernia. Usually it appears when some heavy weight is lifted but not necessary. If this bruising gets more visible while standing and coughing the hernia it is. You can perform simple test: put your finger where the bruising is while standing and try to cough, If you find this bruising moving like something wants to get out, the hernia it is. It can be confirmed with this area ultrasound and treated with surgery.
Lower left abdominal pain can be also caused by diverticulitis. Urinary tract infection/stones gives also frequent urinating and burning when urinating. The pain can radiate to the groin or back.
Diverticulitis is strongly associated with severe constipation and is unlikely at your age. So if you do suffer from constipations for years it can be it.
You should have abdominal ultrasound, full blood work (to see if WBC is elevated) and urine analysis if uti or diverticulitis seems possible.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Follow-up: Getting pain in lower abdomen, groin area and noticed bruise on pelvic bone. Kidney stone? 42 minutes later
Thank you for your analysis.

The bruising is more on the hip and is sore to the touch.
I do not have pain in the groin area.

I tried coughing with my finger on the bruise and there was no feeling of anything moving or wanting to come out. It fees the same both sides.

If it is a Kidney Stone, what would you recommend I do to correct this?

I will also arrange an ultrasound,

Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 5 hours later

If this is kidney stone, it is necessary to check if there is no ureter obstruction. To do that, abdominal ultrasound should be performed.
The treatment of the kidney stones depends of the size of stones. If it is small enough (about 1 cm) it should get excreted without medical help. In such case you should drink more mineral water (about 2-3 liter/day), use blueberry supplements and some smooth muscles relaxing tablets like Kwells. Physical activity should be also increased so the stone can get out with gravity.
It is also necessary to have urine analysis and if an infection is present, you should use an antibiotics.