Getting pain in breast bone, chest, neck and upper back. What am I suffering from?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
sore center breast bone when I bring my chin close to my chest, or bend my neck back the way and put my chin in the air, slight pain in the upper back with these movements also, but more the breast bone. the pain also seems to happen first thing in the morning when I waken from sleep, and dulls through the day.
Posted Fri, 1 Mar 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 1 hour later
Hi and Welcome to XXXXXXX

From the above description it seems that you are suffering from costochondritis.
Costochondritis is inflammation of the costal cartilage which connect the ribs to the sternum.

This pain is constant, worse on moving the torso and if severe can be associated with shortness of breath.In addition, pain is felt on pressing the chest.

It is treated with heating pad to the painful area several times a day. Ice also may be helpful.
Physical therapy include Stretching exercises:Gentle range-of-motion exercises may be helpful. Nerve stimulation.

If your symptoms persist or if you feel chest pain, faintness, nausea or significant shortness of breath then you should see a physician for a full physical examination and consultation.

I hope this is helpful to you. If you have any questions I will be happy to answer.

Please close the query,rate and give your reviews if you have no other questions.

Wishing you good health...

Dr Saurabh Gupta.
Orthopaedic Surgeon.