Getting pain between hip and ribs. Should I be worried for liver or kidney damage?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
for approx. 2 weeks I have had severe pain on right side, between hip and ribs, it affects my sleep and movement when going to bed. It has started to cause a little bother in morning now, also. I am 82, but reasonably fit and live at home as carer for husband. I am concerned that my meds. could be affecting liver or kidneys, does this sound possible? My GP has retired and we have none at present.
Posted Wed, 20 Feb 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 22 minutes later
The pain on the right side between the hip and the ribs is not likely to be related to a liver or a renal problem. Blood tests like renal and liver function tests are better tools to detect any such abnormality.
The pain that you are having can be due to-
1. A beat-up mattress that does not give adequate support might cause stiffness and pain. You need to use a firm mattress preferably a cotton mattress which gives our back a good support.
2. Low oxygen levels in muscles while lying down- frequent change in postures or lying on your side might provide the relief.
3. Disc herniation or spinal canal stenosis- Can be diagnosed after investigations like MRI.
4. Arthritis or ankylosing spondylosis.
5. Weak core muscles-Strengthening the muscles that support the spine helps keep the spine in its proper position and reduce risk of sprains, strains and lower back pain. Maintain fitness with exercises that include back stretching and strengthening exercises under guidance of a physiotherapist.
A detailed examination by an orthpedician will help in detecting the exact cause. The treatment further depends on the cause.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: Getting pain between hip and ribs. Should I be worried for liver or kidney damage? 6 hours later
Thank you for the prompt reply. I do have problems with my spine, which was fractured many years ago, so I will have it checked. Sincerely, XXXXXXX XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 17 hours later
Thank you.
I am glad I could help.
You can consult me again directly through my profile URL
Please accept my answer in case there are no further queries and recommend our services to your friends too if you have found it helpful.
I wish you the very best in whatever you do.
Warm regards