Getting pain and stiffness due to holes in rhomboids. Is this normal?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
I am a physical therapist and I have a strange case with one of my clients, he has strange type of holes in his rhomboids and do cause him some pain and stiffness he feels when throwing a ball..Not sure if this is normal or not..I need some understanding of this condition XXXXXXX
Posted Fri, 9 Nov 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 1 hour later

Your client might be suffering from atrophy of rhomboidus muscle .

This muscular atrophy might have abnormal shape than the normal one ; Smaller or flatter or there is a hollow , sunken , concave even a XXXXXXX hole with a dark colour of skin, caused by malnutrition of this part of muscle.

This rhomboidus muscle atrophy can cause chronic pain, stiffness and limitation of activity such as throwing a ball.

This muscular atrophy may be caused by injury, surgery or the disease of nervous system eg. disease of cervical vertebrae, prolapsed inter vertebral disc, brachial plexus issues etc.

I suggest you ask him to consult an orthopaedician for detailed examination.

As of now, you can start him on muscle strengthening exercises of shoulder and scapular muscle to regain the muscle power.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if you have any more concerns.

Follow-up: Getting pain and stiffness due to holes in rhomboids. Is this normal? 17 hours later
Thank you Dr. XXXXXXX I will follow it up with an Orthopaedic Physician.
Sincer regards
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 14 minutes later
You’re welcome.

I am pleased to know that my suggestions were helpful.

If you have no more questions, please close this discussion, rate the answer and give your review.

Wishing you good health